Social Impact Professionals, Anesthesiologist in Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) – Social Steps #08 – Social Steps
To start the second season of Social Steps Podcast in the most inspiring way possible, I speak with the brilliant Portuguese anesthesiologist Marta Rodrigues about her fascinating experiences in Afghanistan and Cameroon with Doctors Without Borders, a.k.a. Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), and how to get into this NGO.
In many places, MSF is the only organization that provides medical assistance to people affected by disasters, conflict, extreme poverty, and more.
- Marta Rodrigues, anesthesiologist in Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (Afghanistan and Cameroon)
- 00:00 Introduction
- 02:14 How did you become interested in working with MSF?
- 21:01 Application process to work with MSF
- 33:34 First days in Afghanistan
- 42:33 Routine in Afghanistan
- 51:08 Differences between working in Afghanistan and Cameroon
- 56:17 Do I Need to Speak Another Language to Work for MSF?
- 1:00:13 Remarkable experiences during MSF missions
- 1:08:00 Books, documentaries, and movies recommendations
- For Sama by Waad Al-Kateab and Edward Watts;
- Beasts of No Nation by Cary Fukunaga;
- The Shadow of the Sun (Heban) written by Ryszard Kapuściński.
Social Steps on Spotify (link).
Social Steps on Google Podcasts (link).
Social Steps on Apple Podcasts (link).
Social Steps on YouTube (link).